Monday, April 4, 2011

Tunnels Reef (Betsy's First Post!)

Today we had our first shot at Tunnels beach. The previous two times we went by it was closed due to high surf, but things quieted down overnight and we joined a dozen or so snorkelers in exploring the reef before the sun got too hot. I tried out the underwater camera for the first time, and really all I could see was light and shadow, and I could only see that sometimes. So what you see below are basically the result of me following around one big fish, one goat fish, and two spectacular fluorescent fish for about an hour all told, and frantically snapping shots while pointing the camera in their general direction. Of perhaps 180 shots that I took, I got about ten decent ones. So Brett will probably be our main underwater photographer, but I had fun!
These large pink fish scared me at first, but once I had a camera, I found myself getting closer and closer in order to get the best possible shot. I soon realized no one was scared of this fish, since little fish swam in and around it all the time and it used its huge mouth to vacuum the reef, not eat anyone.

Big Pink with its friends



This Many Bar Goat Fish looks black and white striped from above, and purple iridescent from the side. How does it do that?


I was desperate to get a shot of this fish, and must have taken ten photos in the ten seconds that I was near it. But no dice. Not being able to see anything on the camera screen really makes it tough!

I like the eyebrows on these guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment