Sunday, April 3, 2011

Po'ipu, Part II

Our first day at Po'ipu left me burning for more (pun intended). That, and the persistent high surf on the north shore, sent me back the next day while Betsy took respite from the sun and stayed off her back. I wanted to capture on film a few of the fish I saw after my camera battery died, and gave me a chance to answer a question that I had been wondering about: Do fish generally stay in the same reef area? Or do they travel? Given that I saw pretty much the exact same fish as the day before, I'd say that they stay in the same area, at least for awhile.

Here's lookin' at you, kid.

This is one of the most graceful fish we saw -- it undulated its fins to move, which made the neon blue stripe shimmer. Notice the yellow streaks around its eye.

I called this guy Big Bubba, and was delighted to see that he stuck around for my second visit. He was about 3 feet long, no joke. Why else would I put such a bad picture of a fish in here? Real name: Parrotfish

Moorish Idol

Orange-spine Unicorn Fish

This colorful fish was amazingly hard to capture on film (until the next day -- see above), but I finally caught it when it squirreled away in this hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment