Monday, August 8, 2011

Los Torres at Sunrise

As I went to sleep the night before, listening to the snow brush gently against my tent, my hope of seeing los Torres bathed in the warmth of sunrise faded with each flake that accumulated on my rain fly. It had been cloudy all day, and now it was finally snowing -- a slow, steady snow that just might last all night. Los Torres del Paine are especially beautiful at sunrise, as the light imbues the stone with red and orange hues, making even a wintry day warm. I had even extended my trip a day on the slim chance that the weather forecast was right a week in advance, and the next morning would be sunny. But now it seemed unlikely. However, when I woke up in the middle of the night, I noticed that the snow had stopped, and when I peaked outside my tent, the sky was covered in stars. The storm had broken just in time, continuing my run of good fortune on this trip. I awoke before dawn, ate a quick breakfast, and began the 40-minute climb to the lookout. As I climbed, I caught glimpses of the towers bathed in an orange glow, and hurried to make the top before the colors faded. As I crested a pile of rocks, the panorama came into view, and I was treated to a glorious view of los Torres -- a fitting end to an almost perfect week in Torres del Paine National Park. It was one of those moments when your realize that your dreams have been fulfilled, and you are overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude.

The dawn light gradually revealed a landscape freshly coated in a layer of snow.

After a scramble over large boulders, I reached the lookout to the Torres del Paine, and was greeted with this picture.

Swaths of cloud played with the peaks as the sun burned morning mists away.

A frozen lake lay at the bottom of the towers.


Later in the day, on my way out of the park, these guanaco (cousins of the llama) watched my departure with the towers in the background (below).
It was the first time I'd seen los Torres from a distance, as they are almost completely obscured until you stand right before them when you approach from the west, as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment