Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 5: Refugio Los Cuernos to Campamento Torres

The fifth day of the trek dawned crisply, with a thin layer of snow and cloud that muted the landscape and lent a degree of integrity to my surroundings. Grays, blues, and greens all blended together, and the air seemed to curve around itself in an effort to unify hills with lake with sky. The temperature never rose above freezing, so it remained remarkably consistent the whole morning. In the afternoon, I began the steep climb up to the Torres, the namesake of the park. My campsite was a mere 40-minute walk to the overlook, but clouds hung low, obsucring the Torres. As I fell asleep, a steady snow began to fall, and I worried that my much anticipated sunrise at los Torres would not materialize, at least not with full visibility and the warm hues of the sun cast on the iconic spires.

The trail continued to hug the shores of Lago Nordenskjold for a third day, but each day brought with it distinct conditions. Today's weather made the most of the low-arching sun; because we were so far south, mild colors accented the clouds for most of the day, as the sun was basically rising or setting for five of the seven hours that it was up.

I followed these puma tracks for several kilometers, and only got slightly spooked when I stopped seeing them.

Click to enlarge.

This is one of my favorite shots from the trip -- a frozen lake blending seamlessly with the hills and sky. A dark spot invades the white lake while a bright spot lights up the gray sky, much like the yin yang in the previous post (below). And indeed, it felt as if opposites were uniting to form a complimentary whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment