Thursday, September 8, 2011

A walking tour of Easter Island

My first full day on the island was spent walking...and walking...and walking...and then finally catching a ride because I didn't want to walk anymore. I headed out from Hanga Roa on the northwest coast, passing by several cave systems used by the Rapa Nui in the past, either as homes or hiding spots. My guidebook said that I should bring a light into Ana Kakenga ("ana" means cave), but I forgot mine. I attempted to venture down anyway, and it was a matter of steps before I ended up in an incredibly low, narrow space with just enough room for me to squat down and squeeze through. Add to that the pitch blackness, and I moved very slowly, groping with my hands on all sides so I wouldn't run into anything. The space opend up after about 5 meters, and I saw a faint light down and below me. Relieved, I took a few steps, only to realize that I would have to get back. Looking behind me, I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face, and I hoped that the cave didn't branch anywhere. If it was a straight shot, I could do it. The guidebook didn't indicate any branches, so I continued on. I was basically in a lava tube that had hollowed out. The tube actually split, and then opened in two "windows" right on the side of a cliff, both looking out over the ocean. I made my way back, hoping not to awaken any spiders or bats, and carried on up the coast to other caves. A couple hours into the walk, I turned inland, toward Terevaka, an extinct volcano that is the highest point of the island. The weather grew restless as I came upon Akivi, a collection of moai at the base of the volcano. I spent the next few hours hiking up to the peak and then back in intermittent rain. No great pictures, but great views of the clouds moving over the island, revealing different spots as they floated around me. A tiring day, but useful, since I got to see the whole island from the top and plot my travels for the coming days...

One of the windows of Ana Kakenga

A bed or maybe table in Ana Te Pora



Akivi sits at the base of Terevaka. Enlarge the picture to see the horses.

On the backs of the moai, you can see where the heads were reattached. Every moai on the island was toppled at one point. More on that in future posts...

No comments:

Post a Comment