Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 3: An Ode to Los Cuernos

Sunrise on this day revealed a thinning layer of cloud, accentuated by a most dramatic wisp that insisted on lingering just over the lake, like a scarf around the mountains. In the morning I retraced my steps, reveling in this new twist on familiar scenery, and then turned eastward to see the Cuernos del Paine towering above me, closer now and clearer than it ever seemed they would be. An undulating trail yielded angles before I finally ended camping right at their base. These are some of the most iconic mountains in the world, and I could hardly believe that I was there. I felt like I had stepped into one of the books or postcards that I had so often seen. This was the day when it really hit me that Patagonia had moved from a distant dream to an immediate experience.




Click to enlarge any of these photos.


I was taken by this because of what appears to be the shadow of a mountain in the cloud on the upper left.


This series, above and below, shows a retreating cloud as I approached los Cuernos. Mountains can't move, but this cloud certainly made it seem like they could.



Sunset over los Cuernos

No comments:

Post a Comment